Building Construction: Principles, Materials, & Systems Plus MyConstructionKit -- Access Card Package, 2nd Edition
- By Medan Mehta, Walter Scarborough, Diane Armpriest
- Pub. Date: Mar 29, 2012 by Prentice Hall.
- ISBN-10: 0-13-290771-2
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-290771-2
List Price: $151.87
Organization and Approach
- Now FULL COLOR throughout!
- A unique organization creates an unparalleled exploration of building construction—principles of construction are covered in Part 1, and materials and systems of construction are covered in Part 2—providing students with a balanced learning approach.
- A focus on principles in Part 1 emphasizes the basic principles common to the performance of most building materials. By doing this in the classroom, the authors have experienced that they can preclude or reduce repetition when progressing from one material or system to another later on in the course. This focus also encourages critical thinking and informed decision making related to building materials and methods of construction. These principles will sustain over time even as materials and systems/assemblies are bound to change.
- The logical organization in Part 2 presents the materials and systems in an order based on the extent of their use in the working world.
- Sustainability has always been a cornerstone of coverage in this modern text. A comprehensive chapter and thorough integration of content is featured throughout.
- Extensive cross-referencing allows for quick and thorough referencing from Part 2 (Materials and Systems) to the underlying principles in Part 1(Principles of Construction). This gives instructors and students maximum flexibility and the ability to start with Part 2 if they prefer. This may be particularly appealing for a one semester course.
Content, Illustrations, and Pedagogy
- Hundreds of original photographs and drawings have been developed specifically for this text—clearly illustrating difficult concepts and ideas.
- An extra large trim size of 9” x 12” allows for an open and inviting layout so students can learn easily and effortlessly.
- Numerous examples with solutions prepare students for exams and real-world applications.
- Principles in Practice sections demonstrate practical applications of key concepts and reinforce the fundamentals that will sustain over time.
- A chapter on “Sustainable Construction” and the Focus on Sustainability boxes highlighted throughout the text address contemporary “green” issues that face the construction industry today.
- Practice Quizzes are integrated within each chapter allowing readers to test their comprehension before moving on to additional concepts.
- Expand Your Knowledge boxes offer readers the opportunity to learn more about a relevant topic being discussed in the main body of the text.
- Margin Notes include additional information and help clarify selected topics.
- End of chapter Key Terms, Review Questions, Selected Websites and suggestions for Further Reading make studying for exams or doing additional research a breeze.
Author Team and Development Process
- A uniquely qualified author team builds on the professional experience of an architect, engineer, construction site manager and academic.
- A team of expert technical reviewers participated in an unparalleled review process—one where field experts reviewed raw manuscript for technical and conceptual accuracy.
- Another team of experienced educators contributed exhaustive insights during the development process—insights and suggestions that were later incorporated into the book.
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
The science of building construction and design is evolving more quickly than ever before. The second edition of this outstanding text builds on the previous version. It incorporates the latest updates available, features hundreds of new pieces of artwork, and is now in FULL COLOR! Written by an author team with decades of experience in architecture, building construction, engineering, and teaching, Building Construction: Principles, Materials & Systems 2nd Edition is a comprehensive and fully illustrated introduction to construction methods and materials.
Continuing on with the books unique organization, Principles of Construction are covered in Part One and Materials and Systems of Construction are covered in Part Two. Emphasizing a visual approach to learning, it includes more than 1,400 original illustrations and an extra large trim size (9” x 12”) that provides an open and inviting layout that readers are sure to appreciate.
Plus! A completely revamped and expanded companion website, "MyConstructionKit", is also available!
Table of Contents
Part 1: Principles
Chapter 1 An Overview of the Building Delivery Process—How Buildings Come into Being
Chapter 2 Construction Regulations and Standards
Chapter 3 Loads on Buildings
Chapter 4 Load Resistance—The Structural Properties of Materials
Chapter 5 Properties of the Envelope–I: Thermal Properties
Chapter 6 Properties of the Envelope–II: Air and Water Vapor Control
Chapter 7 Fire-Related Properties
Chapter 8 Acoustical Properties of Materials
Chapter 9 Principles of Joints and Sealants (Expansion and Contraction Control)
Chapter 10 Principles of Sustainable Construction
Part 2: Materials and Systems
Chapter 11 Soils and Excavations
Chapter 12 Below-Grade Construction: Foundation Systems and Basements
Chapter 13 Materials for Wood Construction–I (Lumber)
Chapter 14 Materials for Wood Construction–II (Engineered Wood, Fasteners, and Connectors)
Chapter 15 Wood Light Frame Construction–I
Chapter 16 Wood Light Frame Construction–II
Chapter 17 Structural Insulated Panel System Construction
Chapter 18 The Material Steel and Steel Components
Chapter 19 Structural Steel Construction
Chapter 20 Light-Gauge Steel Construction
Chapter 21 Lime, Portland Cement, and Concrete
Chapter 22 Concrete Construction–I (Formwork, Reinforcement and Slabs-on-Ground)
Chapter 23 Concrete Construction–II (Site-Cast and Precast Concrete Systems)
Chapter 24 Masonry Materials–I (Mortar and Brick)
Chapter 25 Masonry Materials–II (Concrete Masonry Units, Natural Stone, and Glass Masonry Units)
Chapter 26 Masonry and Concrete Bearing Wall Construction
Chapter 27 Exterior Wall Cladding–I (Principles of Rainwater Infiltration Control)
Chapter 28 Exterior Wall Cladding–II (Masonry, Precast Concrete, and GFRC)
Chapter 29 Exterior Wall Cladding–III (Stucco, EIFS, Natural Stone, and Insulated Metal Panels)
Chapter 30 Glass, Glazing and Light-Transmitting Plastics
Chapter 31 Windows and Doors
Chapter 32 Exterior Wall Cladding–IV (Glass-Aluminum Wall Systems)
Chapter 33 Roofing–I (Low-Slope Roofs)
Chapter 34 Roofing–II (Steep Roofs)
Chapter 35 Stairs
Chapter 36 Floor Coverings
Chapter 37 Ceilings
Appendix A System of Units
Appendix B Preliminary Sizing of Structural Members
References and Further Reading
Answers to Quizzes
Product Type: Physical Product
We're temporarily out of stock, but order now and we'll send it to you later.